Wednesday 23 September 2009

Booky porridge



I'm back to the university library tonight for my twice weekly, term-time only jaunt into hushed and hallowed stacks. I am also to be found at the Issue Desk- much less hushed and hallowed! But still great work and lovely colleagues. Anyway, it occurred to me that returning to the library might necessitate taking back the books that I had taken out on summer loan...

These are some of them! The little blue one on top was Ibsen's Ghosts. Short, succinct, slicing. I'd be interested to see this on the stage, because I did find some of the dialogue stilted on the page, but my goodness, how the hopelessness of fate falls down like the grey rain on the fjord. Or maybe less a preordained destiny of fate than a chosen traditional path fating sins of fathers and omissions of mothers on child, legitimate and bastard alike. I've long mistrusted those who intransigeantly walk the traditional route. With freedom somewhere urban and distant. The Church fares not well at all, in the cowardly Manders. Discuss!


I took Ghosts to read in the GP's waiting area this morning, which is right beside the Library area (and above the pool) in our Wellbeing Centre. So I did make a childless foray into those stacks too- much more hushed and hallowed without suns- definitely a lesson learnt! So today's theme would appear to be love gone awry...


Or love goes awry meets gingerbread theme of this autumn with the Bean's gingerbread steamers, lattes et al...



And finally, moving from love to gingerbread to all things delicious and good...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow! You'll have to explain "Ghosts" in simple language for me!! Sounds very high brow and I don't fit into that category very well!! LOL!!!

Time stands still

 Hello! Sending you all lots of love from Northern Ireland, where nothing much changes just as everything changes, as usual. Time has stood ...